Gum disease is one of the leading causes for people losing their teeth. Gum disease begins with the growth of bacteria in your mouth and if left untreated will lead to chronic tooth decay as well as the loss of teeth. The early stage of gum disease is often referred to as Gingivitis and many patients ignore the symptoms.
- Gums that bleed during and after tooth brushing
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
- Persistent bad breath or bad taste in the mouth
- Receding gums
- Formation of deep pockets between teeth and gums
- Loose or shifting teeth
- Changes in the way teeth fit together upon biting down, or in the fit of partial dentures.
Gum Disease Treatment
- We do an advanced, comprehensive cleaning to remove built up plaque and tartar
- In the case of more advanced gum disease we do scaling and deep root planing which cleans deeper into areas above and below the gum line. A local anesthetic is given for this procedure or you may opt for sedation.
- We also do Arestin Therapy. Arestin is an antibiotic which in injected into the gums and is then released for 21 days. Arestin is a quick, comfortable and effective treatment for gum disease.
If you are experiencing signs of gum disease it is very important that you see your dentist immediately. Not only does gum disease cause you to lose your teeth but it has also been linked to the development of serious health problems such as; heart disease, stroke and diabetes. Your oral health does affect your overall health.
Call our office to schedule an evaluation.
Prevent Gum Disease
- Brush your teeth 2 times daily - in the morning and before bed
- Floss daily. You may also consider adding a Water Pik to your daily dental hygiene rountine,
- Add using an electric tooth brush that has a rotating and oscillating action. Check and make sure it is ADA (American Dental Association) approved.
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash, such as Listerine, or a fluoride or antiplaque mouthwash.
- See your dentist regularly for a dental examination and cleaning